We found a great recipe for a smoothie type ice pop and decided to give it a try. After failing miserably and then experimenting with ingredients and changing them up, we have come up with our own modified version and hope that you like it! This is a great protein packed after-school or weekend snack! Prepare the night before.
We've heard that it's possible to replace the peanut butter with sunflower seed butter to make it allergy friendly. Not having tried this, we're not sure, but give it a shot if you're interested and be sure and let us know how it turns out!
What you need:
* 1/4 Cup peanut butter (chunky or smooth, your choice)
* 1 Tbsp honey
* 1/2 Cup of your favorite yogurt
* 1/2 Cup low-fat milk
* 1/2 Cup fruit (small like blueberries or diced)
* 1 Cup fruit juice
* 6 5oz Dixie Cups
* popsticks/craft sticks
This works well if you choose fruit, juice and yogurt that include the same flavor but we like to break the rules so we used strawberry yogurt, cranberry juice and blueberries. :)
What to do:
* use a blender to mix the peanut butter, yogurt, milk and honey.
* fill the cups about half way with the mixture (if you have extra, use another cup)
* freeze cups for about 1 hour
* stir together fruit and juice (or if you want a smoothie type look, blend them)
* distribute evenly in cups, add popsticks, cover and freeze for approx 4-6 hours.
In our picture above, you'll notice that we have three layers instead of just the two described here. The simple explanation is that we discovered the bottom layer of peanut butter/yogurt mixture melted waaayyyy too fast so we -again- modified the recipe.